The Freemans settled Alabama before it was a state. And I’m extremely proud of my Southern heritage. Like most Southerners, I make a lot of buttermilk biscuits. I don’t want to brag, but they’re delicious.
2 cups All purpose flour
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
6 Tbsp Butter
1 cup Buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Combine dry ingredients into food processor.
3. Place butter in cubes in freezer to keep very cold until use.
4. Cut butter into flour until it resembles coarse meal.
5. Add buttermilk until just combined. It should be very wet. Add more buttermilk if necessary.
6. Turn dough out onto floured board.
7. Do not knead or roll. Gently pat the dough until it's 1/2" thick.
8. Fold dough 5 times and pat out until 1" thick.
9. Use round cutter to cut biscuits.
10. Place on cookie sheet next to each other.
11. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
12. For freezing, place uncooked biscuits on cookie sheet in the freezer. Good for up to a month. To serve, heat in the oven at 450 degrees for ~20 minutes.